Saturday, July 9, 2011

The age old question: Finale 2011 or Sibelius 6?

Now by no means am I meaning to start up an argument about the two softwares, but as a recent high school graduate going into college, most likely for music, I am looking into options for music notation software to help with my experience. At the moment I'm using Musescore, which I have to say I absolutely adore because it's free and easy to use, but I'm looking into things music notation with a bit more power. So I've been researching both Finale 2011 and Sibelius 6 and I'm really at a standstill. Both cost basically the exact same thing, even with the educational discount, but Sibelius does come out a bit more expensive. Now I've heard many very positive reviews for both, but more so for Sibelius and many reviews coming from previous Finale users who have "converted" to Sibelius which makes the slightly higher cost not seem so bad. Though I've noticed while Finale 2011 comes packaged with Garritan Personal Orchestra sound files, Sibelius does not. And though playback isn't necessarily the most important thing in the world, I would really appreciate having more "authentic" sounding playback so I have a greater picture as to what my music will sound like. So I implore upon all of those with experienec in either product to help convince me either way, and if you happen to use a different music notation software I would really appreciate hearing anything. I'm sure there are many other music notation softwares out there that are very top of the line as well are just underrated due to the popularity of these two. Thanks in advance!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment